Ranthambore National Park is one of the biggest and most renowned national park in Northern India. The park is located in the Sawai Madhopur district of southeastern Rajasthan, which is about 130 km from Jaipur. Being considered as one of the famous and former hunting grounds of the Maharajas of Jaipur, today the Ranthambore National Park terrain is major wildlife tourist attraction spot that has pulled the attention of many wildlife photographers and lovers in this destination.
Ranthambore National park is spread over an area of 392 sq km. along with its nearby sanctuaries like - the Mansingh Sanctuary and the Kaila Devi Sanctuary.The park is majorly famous for its tigers and is one of the best locations in India to see the majestic predators in its natural habitat. The tigers can be easily spotted even during the day time busy at their ordinary quest- hunting and taking proper care of their young ones.
Ranthambore is also counted as the famous heritage site because of the pictorial ruins that dot the wildlife park. Certainly, a visit to Ranthambore National Park is a treat for every wildlife and nature lover. The time spend on watching tigers roaming around, verdant greenery, a gamut of other species of chirpy birds and animals is priceless and worth enough to be explored at least once in a life.
History Of Ranthambore :-
The oldest settlement in Sawai Madhopur was around the Ranthambhore fort. The exact origin of the Ranthambhore fort is still disputed but it is generally accepted that there was a settlement at the site of the Fort, as far back as the 8th century AD. It is widely believed that the construction of the Ranthambhore fort was started during the reign of the Chauhan rajput king Sapaldaksha in 944 A.D. Another theory stipulates that King Jayant, also a Chauhan rajput, built the Ranthambhore fort during 1110 AD. It is most likely that the construction of the fort commenced during the mid 10th Century AD and continued for a few centuries after that.
Since, the Ranthambhore Fort controlled the trade routes between North India and Central India: it was highly coveted by the rulers of North India. The Ranthambhore Fort has its golden moments during the reign of the king Rao Hammir, the last ruler of the Chuhan dynasty 1282-1301 AD). During 1300 AD, Ala-uddin khilji, the ruler of Delhi sent his army to capture the fort. After three unsuccessful attempts, his army finally conquered the Ranthmbhore Fort in 13th century and ended the reign of the chauhanas. In the nest three centuries the Ranthambhore Fort changed hands a number of times, till Akbar, the great Mughal emperor, finally took over the Fort and dissolved the State of Ranthambhore in 1558. The fort stayed in the possession of the Mughal rulers till the mid 18th century.
During the mid 18th century, the Maratha rulers of western India were gradually increasing their influence in this region. In order to check the growing influence of the Marathas, Sawai Madho Singh, the ruler of Jaipur state, unsuccessfully, requested the Mughal emperor to hand over the Ranthambhore fort to him, in 1763, Sawai MadhoSingh fortified the nearby village of Sherpur and renamed it Sawai Madhopur. This town, which is now commonly known as the " "Sawai Madhopur city" lies in a narrow valley between two parallel hills, at the south western edge of the Ranthambhore National Park. Two years later, the Mughals handed over the fort to the Jaipur state.
Structures of Ranthmbhore Fort
The fort is well protected by a massive fortification wall provided with stepped and Z-shaped gateway with two strong and massive doors. Inside the fort, the Hammir Badi Kachahari, chhoti Kachahari, Battis khambha Chhatri, Hammir Palace and Rani Palace, with later additions and in dilapidated condition, are important secular structure. Among temples, the Ganesa temple is important besides a few Jaina temples.
It is situated in the north-west corner of the fort near the Delhi Gate. Facing north, it is built on a raised plinth and consists of a central chamber (19.50m X 11.90m), flanked by two rectangular chambers on either side. The ceiling of the central chamber rest on pillars, arranged in two rows. This arrangement of pillars divides the chamber into fifteen, compartments. The base and shaft of each pillar is square. The front of the central chamber consists of five toranas resting on a double row of columns. The peripheral compartments have sloping ceiling. It is constructed of stone rubbles in lime mortar veneered by roughly dressed slabs. The construction of this building is attributed to Hammir (A.D.1283-1301).
The royal palace, named after the strongest ruler of the fort, is a magnificent building which is accessible from the north through an arched gateway approached by ramps from two directions. The eastern wing is triple-storeyed while the other sides are single-storeyed. Besides, an underground storey also occurs in the north-east corner. The ground storey is multi-chambered with all cells interconnected by small doorways and a common verandah. The ceiling of the verandah rests on plain pillars. The eastern facade of the palace is provided with projected balconies. The access to the first storey is through a ramp. The ceiling of the palatial compartment is flat made of sandstone slabs supported on beams. The palace is built of stone rubble in lime mortar, plastered in lime. Some walls are veneered by stone slabs. The construction of this building is attributed to Hammir (A.D. 1283-1301).
Battis khamba Chhatri
Situated near Hammir Mahal, the Battis khamba Chhatri is a three-terraced structure approached from north through a flight of steps. The top terrace measuring 12.5 m X 12.5m, has a roof which rests on thirty-two pillars. These pillars are arranged in two rows on each side. The outer row has six pillars and the inner one has four pillars on each side. The lower part of the pillar shaft is square and the upper part is octagonal. Surmounted by capital. The verandah has a flat ceiling while the central portion has a domical ceiling with three smaller domes on each side.
The inner faces of the octagonal drum of the dome are decorated with pot-and foliage and figures of Ganesa and Vanugopala. The first two terraces are made of stone rubble with lime plaster and the third one is veneered by red sandstone slabs. This building can be dated circa eighteenth century A.D.
Pols of Ranthambhore Fort
The Ranthambhore Fort formed a significant part of the Chahamana kingdom of sakambhari. It is said to have been constructed by Maharaja Jayanta. The Yadavas ruled over it and subsequently the fort was occupied by the Muslim rulers of Delhi. Hammir Deo was the most powerful ruler of Ranthambhore. The following pols are situated in the fort:
NAVLAKHA POL: This is the first gate provided with an arch facing east, having a width of 3.20 m. There is a provision of guard rooms and gun slits, It is made of ashlar masonry. A copper plate inscription affixed to the gate states that the existing wooden doors were provided during the period of Sawai Jagat Sigh of Jaipur.
HATHIA Pol: The second gate, facing the south-east, is 3.20 m wide. It is bounded by natural rock on one side and the fort wall on the other. A rectangular Guard room is built over the gate.
GANESH POl: This is the third gate, facing south, having 3.10m wide span. The beam of the gate is supported by brackets over which is provided a recessed ogee arch. The eastern side of the gate is attached to the rock.
ANDHERI Pol: The last gate, facing north, has a span of 3.30m. It is bounded on both sides by fortification walls and is provided with a recessed ogee arch having projected balconies on sides.
DELHI GATE:It is located in the north-west corner, facing north and measuring 4.70m wide. It is provided with a recessed arch. The gate also has a number of guard cells.
SATPOL: It is the loftiest gateway facing south and is situated on the western side of the fort along the nullah. It is 4.70 m wide and is provided with two-storeyed guard cells. Its recess is flanked on both sides by projected balconies. The battlements at the top are built of brick masonry.
SURAJ POl : comparatively, it is a small gateway facing east along the eastern fortification. It is 2.10m wide.Call Us At 9950521870
Tiger Machan Also Offer :-
Budget Hotels Ranthambore,Good Hotels in Ranthambore,2 Star Hotels in Ranthambore,3 Star Hotels in Ranthambore,4 Star Hotels Ranthambore,5 Star Hotels Ranthambore,Luxury Hotels Ranthambore,Ranthambore Resorts,Lodges in Ranthambore,Ranthambore Guest Houses,Ranthambore Cottages,Ranthambore Villas,Ranthambore Tents,Best Hotels in Ranthambore,Heritage Hotels in Ranthambore,Ranthambore Havelis,Ranthambore Hotels Near Railway Station,Ranthambore National Park Hotels,Ranthambore Tours,Ranthambore Wildlife Tour,Ranthambore Bharatpur Tour
Contact Person : Mr.Virendra Singh
Address : Sherpur Kutalpura,Ranthambore Road, Dist.Sawai Madhopur, Rajasthan, INDIA
Mobile No : +91-9950521870 +91- 9828249879
Email Id : email@example.com